Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tailing Turkeys on the Flats of Key West

NOT exactly, but the fishing guides would qualify.

This time of year along with the rest of the U.S. and the Canadians we thank , Thanksgiving has always meant a lot to me.

Everyone expects a great meal and a Nap, some a parade and football too, but not something from Tiffany's.

I remember the big feasts with 100 or more of the McDevit clan, McCaughtry's and seven turkeys, five hams, a few Pheasants, Ducks and sixty pounds of mashed potatoes, table full of pie's, cakes and cookies dessert requiring it's own room.

Later cigars, eggnog's and football on the 12 inch tv screen, that was the early 50's

Most times over the years I fished on Thanksgiving , squeezing down a turkey when I had a chance, not anymore.

In 2005 late October brought to the Florida Keys hurricane Wilma.

I wrote a piece on the Thanksgiving I shared a few weeks later with fishing guide pals Gil Drake, Lindsay Harper their families and of course my wife Marcella and our wonderful old Bull Dog Jozy the clown ( RIP ).

We gas grilled Turkey and deer on the back deck of the Bougainvillea House because the walls were still missing and we had only a borrowed fridge plugged in , no other appliances.

Swatted mosquito's and drank some wine, had a pie.

It was a grand feast, Walter McDevit was there.